Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Sep 1994 08:38:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:         RGOLEN@umassd.edu
Subject:      Busses by the Bouy....and the Toddler from Hell

If things went as planned (Thursday was nice...I snuck off work early and loaded the EV) I would still be in Maine right now...however... here I am, 7:50 am Sunday morning, back home typin' this.

Sometimes you get little warning signals of impending doom, which you ignore. Friday was one of them. Our plan was to be out of the house by 9:30 get to Portland to have lunch at one of the brew-pubs and then off to New Harbor for Busses by the Bouy.

Well, we didn't leave home until 11:15. About 1/2 hour out, my wife turns and looks at me and says "Did YOU (big emphasis) pack the blankets?" Now SHE was in charge of (for Martha's benefit here..) the WOMANLY stuff...sheets, pillowcases, towels and BLANKETS!!

Ok, we turn around, drive home and get the BLANKETS!! Off we go again.. I turn to my beloved and say "Gee...one could interprate this as a sign, huh? Maybe we should stay home." "Drive!" was the response.

North of Boston it begins to drizzel.....by the NH/Maine we have full-fledged rain. Alex, the soon-to-be-toddler-from-hell is peacefully sleeping in the back. At 3:30 we hit Bath, ME..home of the Bath Iron Works, which lets out at 3:30. Now Bath is a small city....probably about 25,000 population...but it has a TRAFFIC JAM every afternoon....Route 1 which is normally 2 lanes either side funnels into a 2 laned bridge 'cross the river. The main gate to the BIW empties out onto the bridge at the point where it goes down to 2 lanes...go figure.

We make it to the campground about 4:00 pm as the rain stops. We get aquainted with everyone, hang out....this is the first time we've met any of them, and we were made to feel right at home. The organizers of BtB did a fantastic or should I say "vantastic" job of setting things up.

About 9:00 its time to put Alex to bed.

We go thru his normal bed-time ritual...again...and again...about 11:00 pm its time to get serious. We all get in the EV and after about 20 minutes we shut the lights.

HE FREAKS!!!! Now this kid has been in more hotels/motels/sleeping- trains than the average 25 year old...never a problem. In the EuroVan (his 2nd favorite car..after the '56 beetle..and yes he REQUESTS which car to ride in...BUG or VAN) with the bed down, the curtains up and lights off....TODDLER from HELL!!!

Finally by 2:00 am he is asleep! At 7:00 am - normal wake up time - he is up! Rather than risking another night we decide to cut our losses, do a little touring, hit LL Bean (I've been going there since the early 70s when Freeport was this village with one diner) and then home.

Freeport, ME's only claim to fame until about 5 years ago was LL Bean. It was mecca to the faithful. You could go there 365 days a year, 24 hours a day...and it was open. You could bring back jack-knives that you broke...they'd give you a new one FREE!! (did that yesterday AGAIN)...but you could get in and out and out of Freeport no problem.

One day, the evil factory outlets showed up....and the touristes... crowding out the faithful. It took 15 minutes to find a parking spot, considering 1/2 the town is now a dedicated complex of parking lots...and within 5 minutes of getting a new pocket knife... we were off, swearing to vicariously visit LL Bean via their catalogues.

Well, its painfully obvious to you folks by now that I'm back. It's painfully obvious to me that camping wasn't like what I remember it was 12 years ago...and neither is Freeport, ME!!!

BTW, Joel is amazed that we have 8 EVs on the list. There were 4 EVs at BtB!!! Out of 24 VW Vans! There were 3 MVs...mine included.. and a 1992 Westphalia Camper from Canada!! NICE RIG!! While talking to the owner I noticed he had a set of clear plastic Headlight/Markerlight protectors on his EV....available only in Canada...but I did talk him in to getting me a set!! THAT, and the BtB sweatshirt, made the weekend somewhat palatable!

Coffeetime!

Ric