Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Sep 94 19:18:27 PDT
From:         Stuart Redford <scr@hpvcpnpi.vcd.hp.com>
Subject:      Re: super vs. regular?

> > Food for thought (fuel for VW's): does anyone have an opinion > > (silly question!) as to whether super or regular gasoline makes > > a VW run hotter? > > > I don't know about hotter, but I know better.

92 Octane-Yes. The kids in Wolfsburg spec. 91 Octane in the manual for my '91.

I use Chevron Super. Ruby runs better and cleaner.

> run the super in your rig. > 10-4

> the higher octane will allow your engine to run more eficiantly, and > therefore cooler. > > and for further information that may or may not concern you, try > compareing the miles (or kilometers) per monitary unit (this IS an > international mailing list) instead of distance per gallon (or liter) and > you may find that it is cheaper to run the more expensive gas because of > how much farther you travel on a given amount of fuel.

Maybe, but even if it did cost more, as long as I'm not in hand-to- mouth mode, I prefer to burn the best fuel.

I never had heat problems with my '71. > > i tried it for about 6 months. 10 tanks of regular, and then 10 tanks of > premium. i was getting about 10 mpg with regular and 13 mpg with > premium. that's average for each 10 tanks of fuel.

Gawd! 10 & 13 MPG? What are you driving? An Econoline 3/4 ton? :-)

> > because of the difference in price, the diference in cost was about %5, > or less. but the BIG differance was in starting and pedel-to-the-metal > power. > Definitely. I remember cruising up I-205 east of PDX on the way home one night and realizing Ruby was lacking power. I freaked imagining a big-bux part replacement for some premature failure....and then remembered to my relief that the last time I fueled, the depot was outa hot stuff and I opted for 87 grade.

Not only is there a difference with my '91, I experienced a similar differential with my past '71.

scr