Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Sep 1994 10:01:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Jonathan Dove - VAX Master <JDOVE@gsvms2.cc.gasou.edu>
Subject:      RE: regular vs. premium: a new war errupts!! :)

>From: "J. Walker" <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>

>the best 'rule of thumb' i've heard is to run the cheapest octane you can >THAT DOES NOT MAKE YOUR ENGINE 'PING'. usually, this is what is recommended >by the manufacturer. but not always. i currently also own a h*nd* (shame!) >for which 87 octane is recommended ... but it pings on local 87 octane. so i >'have to' run 89 octane in it (to get what i consider 'normal' running and >performance).

I share a ride with a woman who has an '89 Dodge Colt. It recommends 87 octane and that is what she always uses. I have noticed that it pings and hesitates but she has always lived with it. Once when it was my turn to fill up I put in 92 octane when she was not looking and her problems went away. But that was just one time. I told her that most manufacturers often sent up an certain engines to run on 87 octane because that is what people will buy. I also mentioned that all our VWs say 91 octane but seems to run fine on 89. I don't know about 87 since we never use that except for our lawn mower and tracter.

Jonathan jdove@gsvms2.cc.gasou.edu