Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Sep 94 22:06:40 EDT
From:         dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca (David Carment)
Subject:      Winter prep

This past weekend I spent more time than I should have taken care of several small items on the 82 westy - changed the oil from 20W50 to 10W30 synthetic, new filter, annular oil pressure relief valve and installed electric oil cooling fan switch set to come on at 180F and installed a dash light to tell me when the fan is working. All this was done in preparation for what will likely be a very cold winter.

It took about 8 hours in total to complete this work (which was relatively simple). The real time consumer was replacing the catalytic convertor. There are six bolts in all holding the cat between the no 3/4 exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe. The whole set up is very odd on the CA designated air-cooled Vanagons - because on one side the heat exchangers are before the cat and on the other after the cat. This probably creates some uneven pressure on the exhaust system due to uneven lengths in the exhuast pipes.

Anyway replacing four of the six bolts was easy, but two required extensive grinding and were in an inaccessible area meaning that I could only do a bit at a time. Once the bolts were removed the cat fell easily to the ground. A used one seems heavier, it was certainly blocked (50% of the substrate on one side was blocked and 70% on the other). Nevertheless I was able to see dimly through the piece meaning that its replacement may have been premature. The substrate itself showed no signs of breaking down but was definitely plugged. The newer one has less mass but was the correct length (and price). I take it that they are the same for all for VW's since the guy who sold it to me had no idea where it came from; it definitely did not have the Vanagon-related number on it but was VW. So far it works and idle and power seem slightly improved (perhaps only in my mind). The real test will be after driving 2-3 hundred miles at a stretch when cat efficiency will be tested....

Why did I replace it? The previous owner kept meticulous records of the van's repair which showed no sign of the cat's replacement. I assumed that it was at least 60,000 miles old and possibly 160,00 (engine changes). Since I put in a new engine a while ago I figured now would be a good idea to bring the exhaust system up-to-date.

If anyone is thinking of doing this, soak overnight with WD40 (the nuts not you), buy a nut cracker and a grinding stone just in case.

As for running 10w30 and the electric oil fan. The only time it came on (meaning the oil had reached 180F) was in the city after just turning off the highway. This was at an ambient temp of 20C. I am not convinced though that a fan can reduce the temperature quickly enough since the oil is circulating rather quickly. A cooler with more passes may be necessary. The great thing is that the fan continues to run after the engine is shut off -cooling the engine when it is not running. Regards - DC

---------------------------------------------------------------------- David Carment School of International Affairs Carleton University Ottawa, Ontario K1S 5B6 voice - (613) 788-2600-6662 fax - (613) 788-2889 Email address: dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca ----------------------------------------------------------------------