Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Sep 94 19:54:33 EDT
From:         dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca (David Carment)
Subject:      Re: vent question

Eric Walter Dahlstrom writes: > > > This thread on the venting has reminded me that I have never > quite figured out my "Pandora's Box". I do plan to dig into it soon, but > I have one question; is the dash fan used only for the side vents? > My Westy also sends out heated air at all times, but I attributed it to > the mess the previous owner made when he removed the air cond. > Anyway, if anyone can answer this simple question, I would be > much abliged. > Walt...........ewdal@cats.ucsc.edu > '82 Westy > Walt, by now you have heard multiple answers to your question. Since I just got through renovating my 82 westy, here is what was found:

1) top lever on dashboard controls: far to the right will send air to the four vents on the horizontal part of the dash; but most will flow through the two main vents at the front: why? because these are also hooked up to the external air flow control; in the middle - a combination of foot and dash air; far to the left - air will also flow out the foot well in the cabin area. Now to make it really confusing: this footwell vent and the two smaller dash vents/defrosters accept only hot air (unlike the lager middle dash vents).

2) second lever from the top - heat control - far to the right max heat, far to the left no heat;

3) third lever from the top - fresh air control - far to the right no fresh air and maximum heat out all of the aforementioned vents; far to the left- a mix of warm/cool air out the centre dash vents and hot air out the footwell and side defrosters (if you have your heat fully to the right);

4) fourth from the top - far to the left fresh air to the passengers out two top vents; far to the right no fresh air to the passengers.

Now the two side vents on the vertical part of the dash provide only fresh air which can be increased by the fan. These provide no heat.

All of the above assume you are moving at a reasonable speed.

The fan (your original question) is inefficient for pumping hot air - and works best when the fresh air lever is partially or fully open (which means less heat). If you want maximum heat at standstill out the footwell and side defrosters it will be necessary to install a fan directly inline with hot air pipe from the back. The alternator fan simply cannot push the hot air to the front at low speeds, and the built in fan is not designed to do so. Early 80 models did not have the fresh air fan system and were simpler in design.

As for the vents in the door - they probably increase/decrease pressure and improve circulation but do not vent hot air.

If you aren't getting these kinds of connections adjustment can be easily done at the dash (save heat) by removing the plastic vent cover in the centre of the console and by removing the dash control facia. DC

PS I did install an inline fan and now have pretty good heat out the side vents at a standstill. The other item when really cold is to block the fresh air intake at the front.....and put insulation in strategic places.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- David Carment School of International Affairs Carleton University Ottawa, Ontario K1S 5B6 voice - (613) 788-2600-6662 fax - (613) 788-2889 Email address: dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca ----------------------------------------------------------------------