Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Sep 94 20:44:02 EDT
From:         dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca (David Carment)
Subject:      Re: vent question

Martha asked if it is normal to have hot air out the side defroster vents all the time. No it is not normal, and i bet you are also getting hot air out the passenger footwell area when you have the top lever fully left. This means that you will have to adjust both heat exchangers. Fortunately there is an easy way to do this. Unfortunately it entails lying on your back....for a few hours. Both heat exchangers have a lever attached to cables running to the front. Set your dash heat control (on my 82 fully left on the lever 2nd from the top) to the cold air position. Then loosen the adjusting nuts for both heater cables on both heat exchangers so that they come to a closed position. They are spring loaded and should close themselves. Retighten the nuts in this new position. (want more info? e-mail me) . If your cables are way loose some fiddling is in order.

Now there is a second possibility. Each heat exhanger has a silicone rubber disk/valve which fits snuggly in the vent of the exchanger elbow. Unfortunately with time these flexible orange disks break down and become brittle - intense heat speeds the process. If no amount of fiddling leads to a reduction of heat then one or more of these disks is shot. We replaced both when the engine was out but had to get them from the wreckers. My guess is that you could get them from VW for cheap. Replacing is a different matter because you will have to remove and dissassemble the elbow. Fine if not too much rust. If you think you may never need or want heat just plug or disconnect the big tube running to the front of the van at the point of intake by removing the front grill (not something I would do).

Good luck - DC ---------------------------------------------------------------------- David Carment School of International Affairs Carleton University Ottawa, Ontario K1S 5B6 voice - (613) 788-2600-6662 fax - (613) 788-2889 Email address: dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca ----------------------------------------------------------------------