Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Sep 1994 18:27:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Thom Fitzpatrick" <thom@tim.com>
Subject:      Shop Problems

Hi,

I know this is not exactly a question related to this list, but we have an assemblage of people with various backgrounds, and I think I might be able to get desperately needed info:

My SO took her BMW 530i to the shop on the 9th (Fri) of this month to get it adjusted to pass smog. At the end of the day, she gets a bill for $95 and they tell us that before it can be smogged, we have to clean the EGR valve, or they can do it for her for $XXX.00 The next day, I took it off and cleaned it, no sweat. The car ran good, but now the idle was low.

She takes it in the next Monday to have them finish up the smog. She gets the car back that night, and its running like shit (no power) and running way too hot.

She takes it back the next day, and tells them to fix it, so they have it all day Tues and Wed, and she gets it back Thursday. Its the same, now only worse! Only difference is that she's another $500+ poorer!

She takes it back Friday. 4:45pm I get a call from the shop asking me to come down and look at a piece that was broken. Turns out they decided to disassemble the entire cooling system (rad, fan clutch, hoses, thermo housing) and now are saying that we need a new thermostat, fan clutch, and thermo housing, 'cause the bolt head on the thermo housing broke off. The fan clutch had some of the fins _freshly_ broken off. They told me that it was gonna cost $150 for a new thermo housing unless I either fixed the one they broke, or got one myself. I got one in a (PRICEY) BMW junkyard for $35.

Monday comes and goes, and they still don't have the car together cause they are waiting for a fan clutch from some place in Hayward. You see, they didn't want to get one from the dealer 'cause it was too much, so they are gonna charge us $99 'cause thats what they would have paid the dealer, but of course they are getting it for much less than that!

Tuesday comes and goes, and the car is s'posed to be done, but they won't let her have the car 'cause they think now its the head gasket! (Blown?)

By now we are pissed, 'cause its been in there for a week and 1/2, and it keeps getting worse!

What recourse would it seem we have here? At this rate, she'll have a new car in a matter of months! We are guestimating that the most recent set of repairs will cost around $500 or so, but they won't tell us yet.

She's thinking about stopping payment on the VISA charges for the stuff, any ideas on that?

Now who gets to pay for getting the thing right? She doesn't want to keep having these geeks f**k with it, but she needs a working car!

Would she be entitled to have them spring for all of the stuff they broke? People have told me that if a shop breaks a part, they have to fix it. Hell, what would keep them from breaking stuff at random to get the labor and margin on the parts?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

She is already opening comm channels with Bureau of Auto Repair. Would the Better Business Bureau be of an help? Small claims?

Thanks in advance! Thom -- >> Pentiums melt in your PC, not in your hand. ............................................................................ : Thom Fitzpatrick Transamerica Info Mgmnt : : Systems Administrator 1860 Howe Ave : : tfitzpatrick@tim.com Sacramento, CA 95825 : : fax (916) 921-6781 (916) 565-3346 : ............................................................................