Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Sep 94 10:17:44 PDT
From:         macklow@sybase.com (Jim Macklow)
Subject:      Re: Car Talk

> > These car talk guys slam the VW vans every chance they get, advising people > that the only good thing about the vans is that you can sleep in them when > they break down. I am not sure I can disagree with them technically, although > they haven't addressed the matter of heart.

They did tell a 16 year-old kid a while back to buy a Van for his first car (he was asking for advice on what would be a good first car). They poo-poo'd the hondas and nissans, and said that the VWs were cheap to buy, easy to fix, and cheap to fix. They said that owning a VW van would be a good experience for him. He'd be able to haul all his buddies to parties and ball games, as well.

But more importantly, the vans have style, and are something that the rest of the yahoos at the high school won't be driving, and _most_ importantly, they said the women love 'em.

And they were serious throughout the whole conversation, and after the kid hung up, they didn't make any snide remarks (as is their custom). So they're not totally down on VW Vans.

-Jim