Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Sep 94 14:25:43 PDT
From:         Stuart Redford <scr@hpvcpnpi.vcd.hp.com>
Subject:      Re: Car Talk

Well, I realize I'm a fan and a biased defender of Klick & Klack, I listen to them for the fun of it. Yeah, they slam my Vanagon and they slam my econobox Escort, but I'm sympathetic with folks that don't know any better :-) I contend that if either Klick or Klack had ever gotten laid in a bus or camper, they'd sing a different tune. l But, Frankly, Wolfsburg designed some real pieces-o-shit starting around '72. The designs that were once conducive to fix-it-yourself, were getting pretty unfriendly. I wouldn't own a bus from 72 > 78. And that Type IV. Gawd!

As I wrote a couple days ago, they've both praised the V6 Passat and the new Jetta. > > I agree. They're always slamming VWs. Just last week the first thing they > tried to get the caller to do was get rid their van. Then they found out > after some discussion that the mechanic that had worked on the car probably > did the rebuild wrong and that was what was causing the engine to overheat. > So why blame VW when the mechanic was at fault? > > I also feel that they give mis-information on other cars too. Esplecially

Misinformation? Or just an opinion different than yours?

> And I'm sick and tired of them recommending the stupid Volvo. Talk about > "UGLY". I know it's suppose to be safer than most vehicles but jesus! > At least the VW has some practicality to off-set it's less than attractive > looks. I'm sorry but the Volvo is over-rated by them and the VW is > definately under-rated. IMO, they just don't know how to work on > VWs and so they bad-mouth it instead.

My sense is that one reason they groan about VWs is that they DO know how to work on them and they know lots of them stunk. My attitude about VW is: The bug was neat for its' time and great for poor folk or folk that like to fix-it, but it was a major polluter. Some of the busses were good for there time, and some stunk. The camper is unique and is responsible for lots of the romance attached to VWs. Apart from the camper, I wouldn't have purchased a VW until the intro of the Passat.

I'd love a Passat or the new Cabrio!

I think VW has gotten it's act together in the last few years. Almost losing its' presence in the US and the hiring of Pisch (sp?) has motivated the company.

scr