Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Sep 94 15:00:33 PDT
From:         Steve Johnson <sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com>
Subject:      Re: Car Talk

> l > But, Frankly, Wolfsburg designed some real pieces-o-shit starting around > '72. The designs that were once conducive to fix-it-yourself, were > getting pretty unfriendly. I wouldn't own a bus from 72 > 78. And that > Type IV. Gawd!

Let me ask you this and keep in mind the same time frame. What would have been a substitute for the VW camper or bus for that matter for the same amount of money paid? It's easy to kick around the design until you try to find something else that will fit the same bill.

> > As I wrote a couple days ago, they've both praised the V6 Passat and > the new Jetta.

These are cars not RV's or buses by any stretch.

By misinformation, I mean that they really don't like to get to the real problem alot unless it falls within a common area they feel comfortable with (and they do humorously admit this from time to time). I do like the show but I hate when they tell someone to get rid of a car for a new one instead of explaining that for much less than a new car they can have have their car repaired for much less and still get alot of mile out of it. They do this all of the time. It seems to me that they give up to easily on a used car.

> > definately under-rated. IMO, they just don't know how to work on > > VWs and so they bad-mouth it instead. > > My sense is that one reason they groan about VWs is that they DO know > how to work on them and they know lots of them stunk. My attitude > about VW is: The bug was neat for its' time and great for poor folk > or folk that like to fix-it, but it was a major polluter. Some of > the busses were good for there time, and some stunk. The camper is > unique and is responsible for lots of the romance attached to VWs. > Apart from the camper, I wouldn't have purchased a VW until the > intro of the Passat. > > I'd love a Passat or the new Cabrio! >

Gee, no bias here??? Sounds like you don't like to get your hands greasy either. I freely admit that VW has some design problems, but I really think you have to look at what else is available before you close the door on the VW. I'm a little confused, you say the some campers stunk and yet the camper is one that you would choose? Make up my mind. How can you say some stunk and others didn't when the design has been basically the same throughout till the front engines came along. Dasher! Yuck! And show me a comparable vehicle that I can go camping in for the same amount of comfort and utility as my '91 GL.

Steven

sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com