Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Sep 94 19:01:52 PDT
From:         Stuart Redford <scr@hpvcpnpi.vcd.hp.com>
Subject:      Re: Car Talk

> > Let me ask you this and keep in mind the same time frame. What would > have been a substitute for the VW camper or bus for that matter for > the same amount of money paid? It's easy to kick around the design > until you try to find something else that will fit the same bill.

I'm not asserting people were dumb to buy 1976 Type IIs. I'm saying that from my experience with various 70s vintage VWs I can understand why the carguys dump on them.

If I could have afforded a new VW van in 1976, I probably would have bought one. And, after having the '91 I have now, I'm not so emotionally attached to machinery that I'd be reluctant to state the '76 engine was a dog.

Bias? Of course I'm biased. We're talking cars here and we prefer and acquire what we do based on bias & emotion and some even use some science. But, one that eschews the science isn't necessarily a moron.

> Sounds like you don't like to get your hands greasy either.

Why, because I refer to NEW cars above? No, I enjoy time wiggling around on my back if it's when I'm in the mood. But, it's true at 44 I find it less easy and consequently less attractive to play motorhead on demand. I also have become more interested in using tools like cars and campers and less in keeping them working. Faced with the choice of spen- ding the bulk of daylight hours on a weekend day doing my brakes or paying Les Schwab $145 to do them and playing in the garden.. ........no contest.

> I freely admit that VW has some design problems, but I really think > you have to look at what else is available before you close the > door on the VW.

Close the door? I don't understand. I own a VW. I've owned VWs since 1969. I just recognize that they're just machinery, tools. Some are/were neat & unique and some were crap.

I'm a little confused, you say the some campers > stunk and yet the camper is one that you would choose? Make up > my mind.

Not campers, I think some of the buses were a bummer. VWs camper conversion made some doggy vans attractive due to no competition. I believe that if Chrysler had produced an equivalent camper with its' Caravan, for example, lots of Vanagon Camper GL owners would be cruising around in Canadian made campers. But, VW was motivated to develop the camper because of the European restriction on RV size. They had a legislated-driven market. None of the US makers are motivated the same. Winnebago and the rest fill the need here.

If it was 1978 and I wanted just a cargo van, I'm sure I'd buy a Ford. But, a camper? Ford doesn't do that.

How can you say some stunk and others didn't when the > design has been basically the same throughout till the front > engines came along.

For example, I think the '71 was a pretty good year; old style serviceable bug engine, & disc brakes. But, the '72 had a bummer, undependable engine with the van, I think, a bunch heavier. Some years I wouldn't buy used today and some I would.

And show me a comparable > vehicle that I can go camping in for the same amount of comfort > and utility as my '91 GL. >

Not many....that's why I also own one. But, again, I'm not so sure I would if there had been some competition internal to the US. Our campers aren't perfect. I think they're way too noisy inside; the A/C ducting is assinine as they shoulda used the ducting that goes to the dash; no graywater sump. But, yes, considering the lack of competition in the near-full- service-camper, car-size, pop-top camper market, it's the best on the road.

Stuart R.