Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Sep 94 10:52:02 ADT
From:         smitht@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Re: '72 engine

> >I was going to buy a rebuilt 1700 for $500 WARRANTY?

I had a'72 westy with 1700 engine, I found an 1800 from a '75/76 and it was an exact transplant, so you can broaden your search somewhat. What I bought was a long block, everything mechanical including heads, all assembled. I transplanted the flywheel, distributer and dual carbs, tin ware, electrics, engine mount etc. The 1800 was previuosly a fuel injected engine with lots of plumbing, so I was very happy when the carbs bolted directly onto the heads, no fuss. also no fuel injection. Get the latest you can find, maybe some else has done a similiar later year swap, ie 1800 to 2000. There might be no limit to the year you choose. Hydraulic valve lifters and fuel injection are great bonuses, if you can get it all, AND make it work. My 1700 was a bit weak, and thirsty, going to 1800 reduced the amount of throttle I needed, helped the mileage +1~2 mpg on highway.

As for 'custom' interiors, I've done one, starting from the plywood up. Never really pleased with it due to the klutzie bed primarily. Look for a later year Westy that has died/crashed and buy the interior complete. You'll get VW quality (sorry, oxymoron) and it will fit without fighting. I've taken this route twice now, it gves you a vehicle with good resale value, much more than a homemade camper will. Whatever you do DON'T use press board /particle board. The screws loosen, glue joints crumble and the whole thing decomposes due to vibration and humidty. The stuff also sags under its own weight. Use 'real' plywood, like VW does. and keep your sink / tank until you've replaced or cannibalized it. the fridge stuff slides out backwards and may be reusable also.