Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Sep 94 9:30:16 PDT
From:         David Schwarze <schwarze@io.nosc.mil>
Subject:      Re: Car Talk

Stuart Redford writes: > > > Excuse me, but piece of shit???? Most of the major changes to the > > VW vans...or VWs in general which made them difficult to work > > on or less reilable (ie: wasserboxers) were the result of US > > mandated emission controls, safety equipment, etc. > > Yeah, good stuff like mandated emission controls, safety equipment. No?

I don't protest the emission and safety regulations, but the auto manufacturers, when forced to comply didn't spend the time and money to learn how to implement them properly, at least not right away. > > I think the Beetle left the US because its' air-cooled thang was > not going to meet EPA spec. and the Rabbit was its' replacement. > Mexico City still enjoys the Beetles' contribution to its' air.

VW could have made the beetle run clean. The design of the motor is not inherently dirty (look at what Porsche has done). I think they just didn't believe that it was worth the effort to pour so much money into an aging model. They decided it was better to spend the money on designing a new model. Too bad they didn't do both. > > Well, yes, it is depressing about the existence of those average > drivers, but some us do have to live with them. Hell, some of us > are even related to some. > > Why is the Caravan a POS? It does well what it's designed to do. > Or is it a POS specifically because of the people it was designed for?

It's a POS because it is overpriced and underengineered. My sister owns one and has had nothing but bad things to say about it. It has been in and out of the shop with increasing frequency, even though it has yet to break 100k miles. I've seen them, I've ridden in them, I think they suck. Sorry bout that... :)

-David

============================================================================= David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) SAIC Comsystems, San Diego '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) schwarze@nosc.mil '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (Da Bruiser? Soon...) =============================================================================