Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 03 Sep 1994 13:39:44 EST
From:         "SMILE... IT'S STILL FREE" <hupham@fscvax.fsc.mass.edu>
Subject:      RE: Creaking clutch

Mike-

Check the clutch arm on the top of the bellhousing. If the bushings are bad, you can get all kind of neat things there. It seems to be a fairly uncommon disease, but it still happens. It's more common in '73 and later beasts, aircooled vanagons included. (Even though they're hydraulic, the fork bushings love to wipe out...)

Also, check the flexible tube under the tranny. Is it kinked? Loose? inspect everything. I had a real similar problem in my '70 camper and it turned out to be a broken throwout bearing retainer clip. That *might* be happening in yours, but I doubt it as they changed the design around '73 to prevent that from happening. (They'll run without clips! You need 'em to hold the bearing in place until the pressure plate does so by itself, but I've pulled one apart that had NO CLIPS!)

Best of Luck,

Harris