Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Sep 1994 11:09:40 -0400
From:         "Frank E. Terhaar-Yonkers" <fty@vislab.epa.gov>
Subject:      '86 engine swap progress report (long) and question

I picked up the rebuilt engine last weekend at the local dealer. Figured I'd take a few minutes to summarize for any else crazy enuf to want to undertake this endeavor.

-

First off, the engine does indeed include EVERYTHING you need sans peripherals - alternator, intake manifold, exhaust, dist, water pump. It also comes with all the gaskets & O-rings required for swapping all the above. Even included a new set of plugs and the oil-pressure sending unit thats under the sheet metal between the push rod tubes.

(BTW - I went ahead and replaced the water pump, it's worth the $43 (NAPA) since you have to pull it off anyway)

Taking the engine out is fairly easy, not much differnet than the old bugs except for a few extra hoses, intake manifold, A/C etc. 2 jacks are required, one for the trans and a rolling one for the engine. Lift the back of the van so the wheels are off the ground a few inches to get the top of the engine to clear the rear sheet metal & bumper.

Now the fun starts - you'll need an engine stand or hoist to lift the motor in the air so you can dissemble all the stuff. Oh, before you lift it, find a 3/4 drive breaker bar and an 1-3/16 socket to undo the crankshaft pully - this puppy is torqued to 250 ft lbs and will require someone to stick a crowbar in the flywheel teeth while you jump up and down on the breaker bar.

I used a come-a-long hanging from the garage ceiling (via a couple of 1/2" lag bolts) to get the motor airborne and about 5 hrs work later have almost everthing stripped off the old engine.

All EXCEPT the TDC sending unit behind the flywheel (ever wonder what that little socket bolted to the alternator was?) This thing is driven in from behind (I think). If anyone has a solution to driving it back out I'd sure appreciate hearing about it. I'd also be interested to hear if anyone has ever even USED the damn thing - I never have ...

BTW - the local dealer "officially" blesses the Sierra coolant, dunno if this is VWofA's view or not ... (this was actually more in the form of a warning not to void warrenty of the new engine)

- Frank

'86 GL, almost ready for the road

------------------------------------------------- Frank Terhaar-Yonkers fty@vislab.epa.gov Martin Marietta Technical Services/U.S. EPA P.O. Box 14365, Mail Stop 4201-2, RTP, NC 27709 voice - (919)541-2297 fax - (919)541-3967

PGP public key on request - or on your favorite PGP server