Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Sep 94 10:09:31 EDT
From:         dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca (David Carment)
Subject:      Radio problem

Hi: this question is only remotely related to Vanagon interests but since there may be electrical engineers/ hi fi experts out there I thought I would ask here first. --

The Alpine radio which came with the Westfalia when we bought it has recently started acting up. Here are the symptoms:

a) poor AM pickup across the board - but the rare signals that do come in are quite clear.

b) on FM a low-pitched screeching/howling on frequencies roughly below 93 on the dial. Sometimes the signal will be reasonably clear at this low end but will then revert to the noises after 10-15 minutes run time. Signals above this point are good, but there is a slight and faint sound of intereference if the volume is turned up. Of the two the FM noise is more problematic and annoying.

I have removed and reinstalled the radio several times to check for proper grounding; and solid antennae connection. The radio has its own power source (meaning the line is not shared with other components). The tape player works well. The system drives the standard four speaker arrangements - two in the doors and two at the back. I recently replaced the OEM door speakers with sighly better speakers.

BTW the radio was the third to be installed by the owner who lived in Sausalito. The first two were stolen by breaking through the door vents at the front. When I removed the front door panel there were many shards of glass scattered around.

Thanks in advance for any advice - info. DC

---------------------------------------------------------------------- David Carment School of International Affairs Carleton University Ottawa, Ontario K1S 5B6 voice - (613) 788-2600-6662 fax - (613) 788-2889 Email address: dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca ----------------------------------------------------------------------