Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Sep 1994 20:58:40 -0600
From:         hutton@poly.oscs.montana.edu (Stuart Hutton)
Subject:      Oil sprays all over my rear ...

Hi, I kind-of have a problem with my vanagon. It is a 1982 diesel and I seem almost unable to get the thing to stop spraying oil droplets all over my rear ... or the vanagon's rear, at least. I also seem rather unable to really know where the leak is coming from except somewhere under there. Oh, the oil is kind enough not to come out at low speeds but at the top speed of 61 mph, it does. Does anyone have ideas of how to locate this leak? I wonder how often the oil fill tubes crack allowing such a leak to happen? (My oil fill tube seems to have a lot of oil at the base ... but so does the back window for that matter). I might also add that since I now know exactly how difficult it is to change the timing belt yourself, I was able to see lots of oil in the skid plate. Is it possible that oil which has spilled in there is being blown out by the wind? Also, our poor vanagon drips lots of oil on the ground. Really a lot! Do these things do this normally? I have more of a related question ... When the vanagon is under a load (such as going up a hill) I can see quite a bit of smoke coming out of the back. How much of a bad indication is this? Thanks for any advice you might have. Stuart Hutton ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To paraphrase an important person: The sun still comes up each day. It will probably do the same tomorrow.