Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Sep 1994 09:28:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Richard Sellers <psellers@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu>
Subject:      Esp For Eurovan Owners, Tires

Ric, in particular, and the others.

Tried sending a message and there was lightning outside. Seems all my messages were trashed (I guess I learned a lesson here). Sorry for the garbage you received.

I'm re-transmitting ...

I have the original Goodyear tires on the EV. I have approx 28,200 miles on them and I try to rotate as near to 5,000 miles as possible.

The last trip was about 6,500 miles. I rotated the tires just before the trip.

The term "cupping" was exactly what the service person at the VW dealer used to describe what was happening.

Not being even a "backyard" mechanic, I did not know what the term meant nor how significant it is.

In layman's (uh, layperson's, sorry Martha) terms ...

There is a very obvious (can be seen and felt with the hand) uneven wear all over the road-surface of the tires. There are surface areas where the tread depth is much less than in a segment immediately preceeding or following in the same linear path. Adjacent treads show a similar pattern but not in any consistent arrangement. There are small cracks where the sidewalls join the tread.

When I rotated the tires, the ones from the back (now on the front) really made a difference in driving and handling. I had the tires replace like they were on the trip.

It's Sunday morning and I'll take the EV back to the dealer this evening so they can get an early start on it (I hope) on Monday. Will keep all interested informed.

Any and all comments are welcome!

R. A. "Pete" SELLERS v: (703) 550-9099 P. O. Box 233 FAX: (703) 550-8188 Lorton, VA 22199 E-Mail: psellers@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu Anyone who stops learning is either very old or DEAD!