Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Sep 94 11:52:55 bst
From:         A.C.Erskine@lut.ac.uk (Andy Erskine)
Subject:      Traction (was Need Vanagon Tires)

>On Sat, 24 Sep 94 12:20:21 CDT Wes Neuenschwander said: >>I had the same experience with the Continental tires - I (and my friends) >>couldn't believe how little traction I had. Got stuck on nearly level >>grassy campsites too. > >i thought the lack of traction was due more to the wierdo torque curve of >the water-cooled engine ... cause i was getting stuck on the same michelin >tires that i never got stuck on in my air-cooled 80 model.

A friend in my VW club has a 89 camper and often gets stuck on wet campsites. The Split and Bay bus owners never have a problem and have had to tow him a couple of times (but only after a bit of merciless piss-taking). He's owned older buses and reckons its down to the extra power and more even weight distribution. Anyone else experienced this? My bus will happily drive through mud and water up to the bumpers (it rains a LOT in the north of England). I got stuck in snow once, but then so did a Range Rover which made me feel a bit less foolish.

Andy E.

A.C.Erskine@lut.ac.uk