Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         5 Sep 94 16:14
From:         L.S.Griffiths@physics.salford.ac.uk
Subject:      Cheap 1970s heater boxes

When I first got my '78 Bus, the heaters were poor. So I went underneath with the engine running and found that where the two boxes join at the metal fork pipe piece (the bit that rusts), the pipe section to one of the boxes wasn't hot at all. That was some time ago. Since I just rebuilt the engine I found out why only one box was producing good hot air.

When I removed the heater boxes and compared them, they were totally different inside. One (the genuine one) has a finned aluminium cast heat sink around the exhaust pipe inside. The casting fits the heater box tine very closely and has alot of thick fins. It therefore shifts alot of heat out of the box. The other (cheaper) box uses what appears to be some sort of clay or putty to form a kind of finned heat-sink. Just by looking at it you can tell that the surface area of the clay heatsink is much less than the aluminium plus the properties of the clay one as a conductor of heat are probably poor. Not to mention the quality of the exhaust pipe running through it - I don't know about that, but I can guess.

The *ANSWER* is simply if you intend to keep the v-dub for a long time invest in a genuine part (I don't know if Brazilian ones are made like German ones) not an aftermarket cheapy.

Just my experiences.

Lee

L.S.Griffiths@Physics.Salford.ac.uk