Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Sep 94 16:26:57 ADT
From:         smitht@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Re: where did reverse go?

>>Reverse is no longer one of my gear choices in my 73 bus. I'm assuming

Try adjusting the shift lever floor mount position, loosen the two bolts, and slide/tap it over to one side or the other to see if you can improve things. It might be wear in the selector just inside the nose of the tranny, but you have to drop the tranny to get at it I think. Crawl under and check it out. If it wasn't bad before, take heart, it's probably just (hah 'just' he says) a linkage problem. Save $ by dropping the tranny yourself, then take it to a reliable VW person. or get a warrantied exchange, or junkyard one if desperate. Once out of the van, the nose cone can be removed readily, and a little rocker arm unit inside examined for wear. If it's obviously worn, then get a NEW one. Welding shop repairs prob. same $$ cost, not as good. If the reverse gear selector rod has broken off, find another tranny. tim s.