Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Sep 94 14:31:38 EST
From:         WALSHP@indy.navy.mil
Subject:      Re: massive oil leak (77 camper)

John Dziadecki writes: > He called back this afternoon (busy fellow, booked solid, but I trust him > so what can I say). He said the sump plug had come out. Furthermore he > said that plug never comes out. He added older engines tend to run hotter > (mine's at 176K) and maybe the hot/cold cycle caused it to come loose. > Anyway, he had a sump plug in the shop which he epoxied into place. > Tomorrow the oil goes back in and I hope to be back on the road. I'm not sure what a sump plug is, but my ex-girlfriend had a massive oil leak in her '78 bus. It was plug on the FRONT of the engine. Is this what you're talking about? It was to plug where they drilled an oil galley during the manufacture of the block, I think. Anyway, you had to drop the engine and remove the flywheel to get to it. The mechanic glued it back in (without guarantee). This didn't seem too reliable to me, and I tried to get him to tap the hole and put in a pipe plug. He claimed he couldn't for some reason. His method seemed to hold, but when we rebuilt the engine several thousand miles down the road, I had the block hot tanked and also had the machine shop put in a pipe plug like I wanted in the first place. They didn't have any trouble, and it only cost a few bucks. (Just have to make sure it screws in pretty flush as there isn't much clearance between the back of the block and the flywheel.) It's held for several thousand miles, too.

Pat Walsh, '71 Westy, walshp@indy.navy.mil