Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Oct 94 1:04:36 MDT
From:         "Darren Lane" <dlane@acs.ucalgary.ca>
Subject:      Re: Thuh Weakly Stats ...

Having noticed the absence of a '57 microbus on the stats listing I was compelled to relate my sighting this week. I was pulling out of the parking lot with my 68 right hand drive camper when I saw an old vw bus with the bullet type front signals. Turns out its a 57 with the ORIGINAL PAINT. The color is not special (two light shades of green). The interior is matched to the exterior color. Although it is not perfect, it has almost no rust(amazing feat for a Canadian vehicle), certainly a nice rig for one that appears to had had nothing done to the exterior in over 35 years!

I told him about the mailing list, yet he has not got a computer account yet! Gave him advice to do it though. That zero next to the 57 on the list gave me incentive to go into recruiting mode.

BTW, there are some other Right hand drives here in Calgary. One is a late 60's bug which parks a block from my house every weekday. It was a washed out pink color and was rather ordinary except for its 1302 badge. However, last week a newly restored bug took its place. Seems as though the woman that owns it (I saw her once when be actually pulled up to a traffic light together! rare occurrence since I have seen less than 10 right hand drive of any make here in Calgary!). Funny thing was she did not notice my RHD van!

Back to the story, the bug is now a beautiful metallic green with matching paint on the wheels. The trim has be redone as well, overall the car looks great! Its too bad that more of these oddity vws don't make it to shows. Maybe its because they generally charger you to display your rig but let you view for free. Does anyone else think this is backwards?

Hope people don't mind me discussing bugs!

Darren Lane

Had to cut off quickly as I had another call.