Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Oct 94 13:16:47 PDT
From:         chandler@WC.Novell.COM (Mark Chandler)
Subject:      Beds, Valves, Advice

Hi All:

After our second daughter was born (and I was home part-time helping out), I decided to buy a car. I looked around but nothing caught my eye. Then, on a lark, I decided to check out an 81 Vanagon that was listed in the local paper. To make a long story short, $1900 later it was mine.

"Daisy Boy," as my wife calls it (her?, him?)--it's goldish yellow and tan--wouldn't pass smog. After taking it to a couple of places who could, "make it pass or $100," I decided to go the smog exemption route. I took it to the local VW dealer (that my brother, sisters, and even father had used for many years) and told them that it wouldn't pass smog, and I needed to register it. I know, I should have made the previous owner do it. The mechanic sets the engine to-spec, and tells me that the engine is, "really tired--needs a valve job." Well, I tell him that the $1500 for a valve job is almost as much as I paid for it, so I'll, "drive it 'til it drops." Finally, after dealing with the oh-so-pleasant (NOT!) smog ref, I get my sticker/certificate. Joy.

Question: What can I do--short of a valve job--to keep Daisy running for a while? It's got 138k, and the only things I'm doing are adding/ changing oil (it seems to use oil like there's no tomorrow) and putting gas in it.

Assuming it makes it through the mild Nor Cal winter, I want to figure out a way to sleep in it. I'm going to be doing some mountain bike races next spring/summer, and I'd like to save $$$ by camping. The inside is really spare: big middle bench seat that can be removed if some of the fibre board floor covering (and carpet) are removed. The rear fold- down seat could be removed (I think), but I don't think it'll get me much. FWIW, I'm just inder 6' and weigh 190. Worse comes to worse, I'll lock the bike inside, and pitch a tent outside.

The gas gauge reads fine when full to 3/4, but then it drops like a lead balloon. Any clues on this?

I've got more ?'s, but I've rambled on long enough.

Mark Chandler '81 Vanagon '94 Balance '93 Land Shark '95 Rock Lobster (?)

-- Mark Chandler 510-975-4522 chandler@wc.novell.com Novell, Inc. Walnut Creek, CA crosswords@aol.com