Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Oct 94 16:16:55 CDT
From:         "J. Walker" <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: Beds, Valves, Advice

On Thu, 20 Oct 94 15:26:37 CDT Mark Chandler said: >Question: What can I do--short of a valve job--to keep Daisy running >for a while? It's got 138k, and the only things I'm doing are adding/ >changing oil (it seems to use oil like there's no tomorrow) and putting >gas in it.

that $1500 sounds way high for a valve job ... i've seen whole short block engines (which includes new heads and valves) for that price! i think you could check around and find some new heads with valves for a lot less than that. check Rocky Mountain Motorworks (Bus Stop) or some of the other ads in HOT VWs and VW Trends.

the question is: what is it doing with all that oil? is it leaking out on the ground? (in which case, you might want to check your push rod tube seals ... which are cheap and fairly easy to replace on that engine). is it burning it up, meaning blue smoke coming out the tailpipe (which should be oily and black) ... which also means likely valve guides are worn out. or piston rings.

>much. FWIW, I'm just inder 6' and weigh 190. Worse comes to worse, I'll >lock the bike inside, and pitch a tent outside.

you could look in junkyards for a 1985 to 1991 model vanagon and see if you could get the rear seat out of that. it's called a 'weekender package' and it folds into a queen-size bed. the cheapest thing would be to make some sort of platform out of wood (after taking all the seats out) and putting a big foam pad on it. don't forget to make some 'doors' so you can use the storage under the platform.

>The gas gauge reads fine when full to 3/4, but then it drops like a >lead balloon. Any clues on this?

could be a bad sender? the tank is strangely shaped anyway, but i don't think it should 'drop' like that.

joel