Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Oct 1994 07:11:29 -0800 (PDT)
From:         John Ritchie <ritchiej@ucs.orst.edu>
Subject:      Re: Carbs for a '72 camper

Wayne wrote: > > I would appreciate any help in finding out the overall best (smoothest accel- > eration) carbs to install for my camper/van. The Weber I have is horrible. > Thanks in advance! >

I don't know what the BEST carbs would be, but I have been extremely happy with the Dellortos I installed on my `74 bus. Although they're not a perfect match for the VW 1800 engine they still work so much better than the stock Solexes did (power, smooth acceleration) that I don't care. By not being a perfect match I mean that the engine can't handle the full volume of fuel/air that the carbs can deliver; the last 1/4 or so of the gas pedal is superfluous and, in fact, detrimental (it bogs at higher altitudes... too much gas).

I have dual 36mm Dells... not the Baby Dells but the full-sized ones. With the dual-port heads and the intake risers that come with them it amounts to an individual carb per cylinder. Gas mileage isn't great at 17MPG, and I suspect that smogging the bus would be difficult, depending on the laws, but for that I get far more power and easier cruising at freeway speeds. Also, the Dellortos are basically foolproof to install and maintenance-free once you get them jetted and synched. I've had mine for over 30K miles now.

Just one opinion in a sea of them...

John and Bobo Super-bus