Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         28 Oct 1994 08:45:31 +1000
From:         "King, Robert" <king@tanelorn.aod.dsto.gov.au>
Subject:      RE: Camper/ pop top conversion

It's sounds like the top which is usually used by the Sunliner company (our 'Westfalia') in Australia. The top pops straight up on spring loaded X shaped hinges on each side (gees it's hard to describe these things). Inside it has a sill on which you can place some boards and a foam mattress so you can 'sleep in the roof' - I am not sure if this is the case with Westfalias. So you have the headroom and then quickly make the bed up in the roof when you're finished for the day.....it is fitted just by nibbling a hole in the roof...

These tops seem fairly robust - a lot of these tops in older campers (60s, 70s) in AUS are still in great cond as regards fibreglass and canvas. However, I don't think the replacement/ repair of the canvas would be as easy as that on a Westphalia (from what I've read here it seems you buy the seals and bits and do it yourself?) - The canvas on these pop tops has more of a 'permanent fix' to the glass part of the top - but as I said they are TOUGH....

Rob K _________________________ Robert King king@tanelorn.aod.dsto.gov.au

72 Bug 76 Bus 62 Microbus (long term relaxation project) and a Mark Rchards twin fin in the closet