Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         31 Oct 94 24:59
From:         L.S.Griffiths@physics.salford.ac.uk
Subject:      Barn finds

Hi all,

Just gotta tell you about my Barn find this weekend. It's my first Barn find so I'm all excited about it.

Sunday Morning and I went to the Gas station to fill up my '64 Samba and there is this young lad driving a yellow Beetle how can't take his eyes off my bus. As I am filling the gas tank, up he comes over and tells me how cool the bus is. I had the sunroof back and the popouts open - so it looked good. We got taking about split buses in general and he says "I've heard that there's this Bus in a farmyard not far from here". I said "wow". With that I sped off to my mates house (Danny with the '67) and we checked out the local map for possible farm sites. There were about six farms in the village where the bus was supposed to be. We drove down to the village and started with the first farm which we couldn't even find. We moved on to a dirt track which was supposed to contain more farms, we passed some houses and then moved into open ground.

A little house was visible in the distance. As we passed it I looked back and there it was - a split in the back yard next to an old barn. We parked up and I got out and knocked on the door. There was no answer. A few minutes later a little old lady came from behind the house - I knew instantly that she had last her marbles coz she was coming out with some weird statements. She said if you want if it'll cost you 100 pounds (she sounded like a witch!).

I proceeded to have a look around the bus which turned out to be a '65 Devonette camper conversion. Most of the interior bits were missing but she said something about another camper so I assumed that the bits had been installed into a later camper somewhere. The bus had the kind of rust you would expect in the UK, ie no body left, but it had parts like steering wheel, dash clocks, wheels, suspension. engine doors etc.

With that I left and drove back down the dirt track towards the little group of houses we had passed earlier. A guy came out of one of the houses and stopped us. He said "did you get it then?" ie he knew where we had just been. I said no but we might go back for it. He began to tell us about some things. He told us that he moved in about six years ago and the bus was working then and that the lady was the original owner since new! He also told us that there was an oval window beetle in another field further on down the dirt track - but we didn't investigate that any further.

So will we get the bus? Maybe - watch this space.

Lee. L.S.Griffiths@Physics.Salford.ac.uk