Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Oct 1994 12:27:15 -0500 (EST)
From:         sstones <sstones@io.org>
Subject:      Wheel Bearings

Hi Van nuts,

Does anybody know how much verticle play there should be in the front wheels? When trying to locate a squeek (Squeeks when braking over bumps '85) I had the left front jacked up and wiggled the tyre to check for ruin out (12 and 6 O-Clock on the wheel) and got a little more than a quarter inch. This struck me as a bit much, so I tried the right wheel as well and got less than a quarter inch (approx. Just by feel, not measured). But I also found almost no horizontal play (toe) only the camber. Is this unreasonable?

Also, The belly coolant pipes rusted through a couple of months ago and I had the dealership deal with it, I'm not about to start trying to bend those pipes correctly to fit. But the dealership replaced them with some sort of translucent hose. Has anyone else ever had these installed? Are they better than the steel pipes? If better why were they not OEM?

Anyway, Thanks in advance to anyone who knows these things off the top of their head.

Cheers

<sstones@io.org> SStones Toronto, Ontario.