Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Oct 94 11:30:54 PST
From:         RGT2%CnoChico%CTS@bangate.pge.com
Subject:      re:Air Flow Sensor Problems

I was reading in the thread about carburator problems where someone had a problem with an air flow sensor and ended up converting to a carburator because of the high cost of a replacement air flow sensor. After rebuilding a 2 liter type 4 from a 78 Westfalia, I also had a problem with the engine cutting out at normal operating speeds and traced it back to the air flow sensor. I did'nt even bother checking on the price as I know it would be sky high. The Bently book said that the sensor ir not adjustable or repairable. This is not exactly true. What goes wrong usually when this problem occurs is the voltage feedback resistor, which is a deposit on the circuit board, wears through where the wiper contacts it. This will create dead spots and will cause a 0 volt feedback. I was able to repair this condition by loosening the wiper clinch bolt and sliding the wiper off of the shaft. It will only go back on one way so don't worry about marking the position. Next I removed the 4 screws that hold the connector to the side of the housing and then pull the connector loose. Now the circuit board is completely exposed. remove the 4 screws holding in the circuit board and then the circuit board. Using a small rat tail file enlongate the 4 screw holes in the circuit board so that the board will be able to be mounted about 1/16" closer to the wiper shaft. Now reassemble everthing in the reverse order. If done properly this will let the wiper contact a different area of the resistive deposit on the circuit board and everything will be nice and smooth again. I hope that this will save someone from having to spend lots of money to replace the air flow sensor.

Rod Trunnell 78 Westfalia