Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Oct 1994 10:16:10 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Gerald Skerbitz <gsker@lenti>
Subject:      Re: 6-ply tires???

On Tue, 4 Oct 1994, David Schwarze wrote: > Do I need to go chew out Sears and get my $140 back?

Well, David, I ended up chewing out Sears -- not because they weren't "6-ply" which doesn't mean much -- but because they drove badly. I got them for $5 more to put on some Michelin 195/75 XC LT4 tires. These are not the vaunted and expensive ($90+) XZX tires (which they don't carry in any form), but I am satisfied with them. They are not as good as the BF Goodrich tires I took off, and probably are not as good as the Dunlops also mentioned on this list (LT5s for $93 in my area and a 4 day wait).

It was not worth the hassle, and next time I'll do it differently. Like I'll buy the tires and have someone put them on who's close to home and I'll hang onto the old tires until I'm sure I like the new ones.

I don't know if I told the list that one of the Trailhandler tires that Sears put on went flat yesterday. I drove it flat the block and half to the gas station -- man did that do a number on the sidewall. I wasn't going to keep them, though, so Sears ate the cost of those. No guilt -- I got to Sears and it took them an hour and a half just to get the car on the jack (they promise tires in an hour) and then *I* had to start it and drive it up to the garage because the yahoo who was going to do it killed it and couldn't get it started. It being fuel injected, I'll guarantee that he put his fat foot on the gas (he *was* fat, but he was also young and stupid) and that's why he couldn't start it. I've NEVER had trouble starting that thing. Geeeez. Next time I won't restrain my two boys....they can have their way with the entire store <steaming and gritting his teeth....>....

Still rolling (barely...)

-- Gerry Gerald Skerbitz <gsker@med.umn.edu> U of MN Med School Admin 6-5379