Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Oct 94 18:11:13 ADT
From:         smitht@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Re: YES:6-ply tires

Over the last 23 years I've gone through lots of tires on lots of vans. The only ones I will use now MUST have an LT or C6 rating, and take a maximum pressure of 50psi. ANYTHING else is too squirrelly (ie all over the road, dead/alive) on corners. The tapioca effect was a good description. BUT you don't need to follow the VW specs and run at rated (by VW) pressures. I adjust the pressures for load and /or speed. Normal, daily, unladen driving I run 36psi all around. This is good for brief highway excursions. The C6/LT tires don't 'slap' so hard on the pavement cracks, and it doesn't feel like I need new shocks from ride harshness. Long distance highspeed, add 2psi, fully loaded, goto VW specs. You can also drop your tire pressures in winter if you need some added traction, makes a bigger footprint, but put it back up once conditions change. A nasty little note for Vanagon owners.... check the MAX psi rating ON YOUR SPARE before you pump it up to door label specs. My spare (Continental) was identical to the mounted tires but was rated at 36psi max. not 50. Too bad I didn't notice when I pumped it to 44psi during a highway run, it lasted about 100 miles, then blooey... gone! Bet VW saved maybe a buck on the total cost of my vanagon that way, cost me $120Cdn at the time. Grrr. bye tim s.