Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Oct 1994 18:56:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:         Eric Oster <ekoman@u.washington.edu>
Subject:      New bus....questions

Well, I purchased that new bus I blathered about last week (the `66.) put the engine in, started it. ran good. remoced the 4' or so of the Firestarter 1000 (tm.) fuel line (original.) put new in, all the electrics work (surprise! a decent 12V conversion!) I even got to drive it to my brother's house (about 8mi. round trip.) Needs a new steering box! (It was pretty scary.) New rims. (have them.) New tires (No money for those yet.) and it keeps popping out of gear...hmmm glad the list took care of that while I was away.:) I took a realistic look at my `63 after I drove the `66 over to my bro's, and would like some input on wether I should proceed or not.....here's a list of pros/cons:

PROS: 1)complete, very nice interior 2)never been wrecked-no dents 3)all the little doo-dads are there. 4)In other words, it's complete. 5)I am a good mechanic, and do all of my own bodywork. 6)undercarriage (heater channel, etc.) is still good. 7)the little window in the back is _so_ cute 8)I only paid 50.00 for it.

CONS: 1)You know the wolfsburg ad that runs inside the cover of VWTrends that lists all the replacment panels? Well, it needs *ALL* of them, unless two are needed. Then it needs two of them. 2)Needs motor. 3)Pretty much needs everthing but the transaxle replaced. (cables, hoses, brakes, etc.) 4)it's a lot of work. Mabey too much, which is why this list.

********************************************************************* *Eric Oster (ekoman@u.washington.edu)| `I lit my cigarette off the * * | glowing case, wondering what * * `63 kombi(RIP, next week:,() | the problem could be... * * `66 Westy | * * `55 Ford `vert | * *********************************************************************