Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Oct 94 15:44:19 MDT
From:         jackr@starfleet.scs.ag.gov
Subject:      RE: water pump for 76 Westy

> >1) The water pump is getting juice but is dead. :-( > >Anyone know where I can get a replacement? > >Is it a hassle to install? (I'm a very MINOR mechanic). >

One thing I would try before paying the man is to run the pump direct from the battery. Because of resistance losses due to corrosion, etc., if the pump is seized or gummed up or just dried out, it may not be getting enough juice to crank it over. Before removing the pump hook up a couple of small jumper lines hooked to jumper cables attached to your battery. Run these small jumpers to the input to the pump. If it doesn't fire hooked up one way, reverse the leads and try it again. Just make sure you don't hook the jumpers to the pump switch leads. If the switch is on and you cross pos and neg you're going to have a REALLY BIG SPARK right in front of your face. It should only take a day or so for your vision to return, a little longer for your hair to uncurl 8).

I have to do this every Spring after the van's sat for the Winter. If nothing else you'll be sure that the pump's shot, since the RV shop probably won't check it for you, they're more interested in selling you a new one.

Good luck, let us know how it goes, Jack jackr@starfleet.scs.ag.gov