Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Oct 94 15:03:00 PDT
From:         macklow@sybase.com (Jim Macklow)
Subject:      Re: YES:6-ply tires

> > On Wed, 5 Oct 1994, Tim Smith wrote: > > > Over the last 23 years I've gone through lots of tires on lots of vans. The > > only ones I will use now MUST have an LT or C6 rating, and take a maximum > > pressure of 50psi. ANYTHING else is too squirrelly (ie all over the road, > > dead/alive) on corners. The tapioca effect was a good description. BUT you > > don't need to follow the VW specs and run at rated (by VW) pressures. I >

Gerald Skerbitz adds:

> Just a heads up here -- the Trailhandlers ARE LT and C6 rated, and they > are horrid. 50 psi too. I think the 185 is a good bet too, but they're > tough to find around here and expensive.

Does anyone have a (subjective) list of tires they've tried, with some informative comments about each (great, horrid, bad traction, wear quickly, etc.) I'm not so concerned about price, because I can call around and get the prices if I know a good tire to buy.

I recently bought some Michelin MXL 205/70R14R, which may have been a mistake, because my old ones had their belts separating and were bulging, and there was still a quite a bit of tread left ( on the non-bulging parts).

Anyway, at $74 a pop, I figure I could spend a few more dollars the next time around and get either an all-weather tire, or nice big fat off-road tire so my Syncro will get stuck in the mountains farther away from civilization.

Does anyone have comments or favorites to add to this list:

Plies/ Load Range/ Tire Size Max psi Comments ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Michelin MXL Reinforced 205/70R14 6/B/40 Good Sears Trailhandler ? 6/C/50 Horrid

-Jim Macklow macklow@sybase.com