Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Oct 94 00:01:19 EDT
From:         "William R. Kennedy, NJIT CIAT, 201-596-5648" <kennedy@admin.njit.edu>
Subject:      separation anxiety

Interesting new diagnostic discovered this afternoon: If your clutch doesn't work maybe your engine is falling out.

In recent days the Vanagon had been clunking going into reverse, as though clutch was not fully disengaged, to the point where I stopped using it till I could figure out what's up. Borrowed wife's leg long enough to bleed the clutch lines real well. No change.

Thanked wife's leg, sent them both back in the house, and I lay under the Vgon looking and pondering. Pilot bearing? Worn out clutch? Throw out? The bearing that is, not the Vanagon. Some unforeseen consequence of the Porsche 6 conversion? It's not really uncomfortable lying under a Vanagon unless it's too cold out or what you're working on is getting on your face.

Then I noticed that the trans/engine seam is more than a black line. It's maybe 1/8 inch open. Maybe even 3/16. This is a new one on me (and was the problem of course) -- I've never had the four big engine mounts loosen up on me, but they'll sure get locktighted from now on.

One more thing to put a wrench on and check while you're under there on other business.

B.