Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Oct 94 20:17:55 EDT
From:         dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca (David Carment)
Subject:      *&^%@#!!!!

Well it happened, we left the house in hurry to get to IKEA before it closed, and as we rounded the corner and moved up over the bridge and across the canal, the engine spluttered, slowed, rolled over and died. I knew then that we were out of gas! We rolled back down the bridge and fortunately since we weren't too far from home, my wife was able to retrieve her Renault 5 and push me unceremoniously home..... (how embarassing...). The only other time this has happened to us was the time we were driving back from BC in the Karmann Ghia and ran out of gas around Sault Sainte Marie (N. Ontario) around 1 in the morning in the middle of nowhere. Fortunately we were able to hitch a ride to the closest gas station (since cars were't passing us at an enormous rate we did not hesitate when a truck offered us a lift, without thinking we left the top down and everything, camera etc in the car....it was ok). The closest gas station was about 50 miles away and the truck turned out to be carrying dynamite (hence the aircraft landing lights affixed to the front lest they hit anything the size of a deer). We made it back about 5 am... (the gas station owner personally drove us the distance...) but the container he gave was used to hold old oil....the KG backfired that entire tank....as I recall.

Any way the point of this is that the Vanagon gas gauge is way off...the needle was hardly at the red point on the gauge when it died....and the gauge will read half empty after only 90 miles have gone by....what's up with that? How is it fixed......any ideas - DC ---------------------------------------------------------------------- David Carment School of International Affairs Carleton University Ottawa, Ontario K1S 5B6 voice - (613) 788-2600-6662 fax - (613) 788-2889 Email address: dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca ----------------------------------------------------------------------