Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Oct 1994 23:00:37 -0500
From:         jjc@bga.com (John Clavin)
Subject:      question of oil level

>Anyone want to theorize all the bad things that could happen if >you add TOO MUCH oil to your vanagon/bus? > >/martha

Theorize? Why, I remember it well ...

It was the first week of August 1993 and we had just left southern California that morning. We were moving to Texas and our 85 Vanagon was loaded with everything we needed for a vacation, everything we needed to live on for a month, everything we didn't trust with the movers, and everything else we couldn't figure out what do with until the last minute and then just decided to take along anyway. The over- flow filled the Honda my wife drove in trail, as my daughter, her tranquilized cat, and I started across the desert through Palm Springs.

I had carefully prepared the Vanagon for this trip over a period of weeks. Everything that could have gone wrong was carefully checked. I did a complete tune-up, changed the oil, checked the manual trans, examined and replaced all hoses as required, found several suspicious electrical connections, installed new brake pads, topped off the air conditioner, repacked the CV joints, filled ... well, you get the idea.

It was HOT. By 10 am it was already 100 degrees as we climbed the long hills across the desert. The second stage fan came on several times (unusual for my normal driving pattern) and I took to turning off the a/c on long grades. By noon we made it to Blythe and stopped for lunch in the 110 degree heat.

Now my normal inclination would have been to check the oil at this point. But, I didn't. As it turned out, it was probably still up to the mark where I topped it off the night before. But we had the tranked cat along and had to get her water, etc, and get out of heat, etc, and get lunch, etc, ... so I forgot.

Onward into the heat. Ponderously, across the desert until we arrived in Phoenix during rush hour. By now I am having alternating mood swings about the Vanagon. I have driven it more at 100+ temperatures in this one day than ever before in its 150000 mile lifetime. It appeared to be holding up, except the second stage fan was coming on more and more. What about the rebuilt heads? Will the head gasket hold up? Am I burning more oil than usual? Is the coolant level still OK?

As we reached the point where I-10 turns and heads south towards Tucson, traffic ground to a halt. It was rush hour and the freeway was under construction. We crept forward ever so slowly in the heat as I watched my temperature gauge creep ever so slowly upwards. Finally, as the radiator fan began to cycle into high speed almost continuously, I decided I needed to either get going at speed again or pull off to cool down. I waved to my wife in the car behind to start working towards the right-hand lanes. As we approached a turn- off, the traffic suddenly opened up and I saw the opportunity to get going again. I quickly took off down the road watching my temp gauge. Peering into the rear view mirror, I saw my wife trapped in the turn- lanes and headed into the bowels of south Phoenix.

Hours later, after numerous phone call messages relayed through my wife's family in Texas, we were able agree on a rendezvous point. Some rest stop south of Casa Grande, I think. The travel plan for the day had been blown, so we agree to push into Tucson and get something to eat while deciding whether or not to call it a day.

We headed south towards a dark and ominous horizon. As we proceeded, the wind picked up and the tumbleweeds started to move. Soon, we can see lightning ahead, and the wind gusts are starting to jerk the van around. No problem, we'll just tough it through to Tucson. However, in the next few minutes we almost didn't know what hit us. The sky opened up and dropped massive sheets of water propelled by white- knuckle wind gusts at the Vanagon. Traffic on the freeway slowed as the road flooded. I could hardly see the road in the darkness of the storm. The windshield flooded with water faster than the wipers could handle it. Then, then! ...the oil pressure warning light comes on!

(Remember the oil? Martha started this thread by asking about oil.)

(To Be Continued)