Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Oct 94 11:16:41 PDT
From:         macklow@sybase.com (Jim Macklow)
Subject:      Re: Holes In Tires

> > joel wrote: > > >i sure thought the sidewall was stronger than just 2 plies. but that would > >why it was so much 'easier' for sharp objects to penetrate the sidewalls > >than the tread. > > > >joel > Will Self jests: > > If I understand right, this is Joel "Ice Pick" Walker... Okay, gang, time > to call your friendly Neighborhood Watch number if a villanous-looking guy > with an Alabama accent is seen sneaking around your tires.... >

All funnin' aside, I wonder if anyone has had a properly-inflated tire have a sidewall blowout? I've only had one, and that's when I went through a _huge_ pothole at about 70 (in a Jetta). I've had lots of tires wear out due to bad alignments, and recently had tread separation kill off my two rear tires, but I've never heard of anyone ever having a sidewall blowout.

What is gained by spending $80-$100 a tire with the 6ply or load range C rating? I've looked at some passenger tires (aquatred, and some el cheapos) and am wondering since they all hold 2000+ pounds each, and the vans only weigh around 6000 loaded, what do the high-priced tires have to offer? Stiffer sidewalls and better handling? Would I be (economically) better off buying the no-name tires on sale for $30 a pop?

My enquiring mind wants to know.

-Jim