Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Oct 1994 11:26:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:         Brad Hopp <bagger@seanet.com>
Subject:      My first experiance with a vw *&^%@ gas gauge!!!

I bought a van that needed a motor, and on my first drive in it, it wouldn't start once I shut it off. I had it towed into the place I had just had over 3000$ work done. A day later they had replaced the solenoid and said it was fine. Two days after that I couldn't start it again. This time I called the shop and put on my best irate customer act (it was easy) and had THEM tow it in at their expense. Same problem, the solenoid was fried. The also found the problem that was causing it. The ignition switch was binding. When I would turn the key, it wouldn't return to the "off" position. Well great, now I thought I was set for my maiden voyage! It was Friday, and I was running around getting supplies when the bus crapped out on the freeway. I figured that the bozo's at the shop missed something again! I did the pissed off customer thing again, and they towed it in. I went along to "supervise" the troubleshooting this time. Well, they went straight to the starter system with a voltmeter. After finding everything checked out, one of the guys asked me how much gas I have. Given the mood I was in, and my typically smart mouthed attitude I said "None, it's diesel and there is a quarter of a tank. Hmmmph." We went over to verify this fact. The needle was just barely on the red portion, and of course the tank was as dry as the Sahara. What I got then was a humiliating lesson on how to read a gas gauge.

BTW when ever it gets below 1/2 tank, it becomes very unreliable, as it will "float" from empty to half full with the slightest bump/incline.

Later, Brad ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- | *Thought provoking commentary to be placed here... as soon as I have one.*| | | | Giving the NSA watchers a jolt: SIGINT LIBYA TELSAT TIMING GRU GRAIL HIT | | MILSAT NET BGS GRENATWERFER LUMINOSO TRAINING CDR PLASTIQUE AEROFLOT PM | | | | bagger@seanet.com | | ^^^^^^^^^^^ | | Formerly of connected.com, the AMC Gremlin of Internet Providers. | -----------------------------------------------------------------------------