Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Oct 94 13:26:21 PDT
From:         Steve Johnson <sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com>
Subject:      Re: My first experiance with a vw *&^%@ gas gauge!!!

So Brad Hopp says: > > Well, they went straight to the starter system with a voltmeter. > After finding everything checked out, one of the guys asked me how much > gas I have. Given the mood I was in, and my typically smart mouthed > attitude I said "None, it's diesel and there is a quarter of a tank. > Hmmmph." We went over to verify this fact. The needle was just barely > on the red portion, and of course the tank was as dry as the Sahara. > What I got then was a humiliating lesson on how to read a gas gauge. > > BTW when ever it gets below 1/2 tank, it becomes very unreliable, as it > will "float" from empty to half full with the slightest bump/incline. >

Great story Brad. Takes guts just to tell a story like that. I'm sure we've all been there but don't want to discuss it.

As far is keeping track of gas. I just reset the trip meter and depending on the type of driving I'm doing, I can pretty much estimate when I need to get gas. Typically, I don't go more than 230 miles. I like to fill it when it's about 1/4 tank. I think we've had a discussion before about how many miles one has gone before that stalling sensation started.

Cheers!

Steven

sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com