Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Oct 1994 11:08:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:         Alistair Bell <ui775@freenet.victoria.bc.ca>
Subject:      Re: Screens and Wiper Fluid Pump

On Fri, 7 Oct 1994, Scott Harvey wrote:

> O.K. two problems I've been meaning to fix on the 'falia. > > 1. Calvin (my Golden Retriever) has now torn both of my > side window screens. They have become unattached from > the plastic frame. It looks as though the screens were > attached with glue or heat pressed on? Anyway, what's > best way to replace the screens? The tough part looks > like getting access to the inside of the sliding window. > I noticed someone posted how to remove those windows but > it sure doesn't appear easy.

Dogs eh? Why do we have them? :) My van's (82) screens pop in and out. Look at the bottom of the screens where it fits into the window track You should see a couple of tabs. If you CAREFULLY (the plastic seems to get brittle with age), push up on these tabs it should release the screen from the track. I cut new screen from real no-see-um netting and glued it in with "Shoe-Goo", clamping around the perimeter with clothes pegs and some wood strips (covered with wax paper so that it won't stick to net). The glue oozes between the mesh and bond quite securely. The tricky part is clamping it tight so that you don't have saggy screens.

> 2. The wiper fluid pump no longer works. I saw yesterday that > it might be possible to check if it's frozen or does this just > apply to the water (sink) pumps? Also, where is and how do I > get to it. >

Look under front of van just infront of driver's door. the resevoir is right there, held in by 2 (I think) bolts/screws. Removing them allows the tank to fall down and lets you get at the pump which if I remember correctly is attached to the outside of the tank.

Alistair