Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Oct 94 12:53:47 MDT
From:         jackr@starfleet.scs.ag.gov
Subject:      Re: Screens and Wiper Fluid Pump

> From vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu Fri Oct 7 11:59:56 1994 > Return-Path: <vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu> > Received: from scs.ag.gov (attila.scs.ag.gov) by starfleet.scs.ag.gov with tcp (4.1/ftc-1.3) > id AA02978; Fri, 7 Oct 94 11:59:52 MDT > Received: from hub2.tc.umn.edu by scs.ag.gov with SMTP id AA03269 > (5.67a/IDA-1.5 for <jackr@starfleet.scs.ag.gov>); Fri, 7 Oct 1994 11:57:18 -0600 > Received: from halfdan.med.umn.edu by hub2.tc.umn.edu id SMTP-0012e95891e007257; Fri, 7 Oct 94 12:45:04 -0500 > Date: Fri, 7 Oct 94 12:44:48 CDT > Received: from (localhost) by halfdan.med.umn.edu; Fri, 7 Oct 94 12:44:48 CDT > Message-Id: <9410071743.AA26794@lenti.med.umn.edu> > Errors-To: gsker@lenti.med.umn.edu > Reply-To: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu > Originator: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu > Sender: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu > Precedence: bulk > From: Scott Harvey <CNETSAH@mvs.oac.ucla.edu> > To: Multiple recipients of list <vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu> > Subject: Screens and Wiper Fluid Pump > X-Listprocessor-Version: 6.0c -- ListProcessor by Anastasios Kotsikonas > Status: R > Content-Length: 1691 > > O.K. two problems I've been meaning to fix on the 'falia. > > 1. Calvin (my Golden Retriever) has now torn both of my > side window screens. They have become unattached from > the plastic frame. It looks as though the screens were > attached with glue or heat pressed on? Anyway, what's > best way to replace the screens? The tough part looks > like getting access to the inside of the sliding window. > I noticed someone posted how to remove those windows but > it sure doesn't appear easy.

True, it's not easy to get them out, but it's not really all that hard either. If you look at the track the screens sit in you'll notice a "cutout" or slot towards the back. There are two tangs or built in clips on the top and bottom of the screen. Move the screen back so that the rear tang (you may be able to see them if you look at the screen from the side) coincides with the slot. Pull the screen towards you, gently so you don't crack the plastic. With a little wiggling it should come out.

Before you do all this go to the hardware store and get some fiberglass netting and a hot glue gun, if you don't already have them. You can get cheapo guns for < $10. Rip out the old screen and clean up the lip where they were attached with a knife. Cut a piece of netting to fit the opening, or you can use the old piece if there's enough left to use as a template. Tack one edge down, wait till it sets up then pull the opposite edge taut and tack it down. Then do the same to the other two sides. Once everything is cool and dry, check to see that the screen is taut enough, if not lift the tack points (don't use too much glue initially to make this part easier and only tack it down at <= 4 points) , reposition the screen and redo it. Once it's as you want it, draw a nice wide bead all the way around. Let that dry, check it one last time and reinstall it.

I've done that on both my screens in the last year and have had no problems at all. We'll see how the glue stands up to a Colorado Winter, but being inside the van it should be ok.

> 2. The wiper fluid pump no longer works. I saw yesterday that > it might be possible to check if it's frozen or does this just > apply to the water (sink) pumps? Also, where is and how do I > get to it. >

Sorry, don't think I've ever gone looking for it. Can't help you there. If you pull the headlight grille you should be able to trace it's location by following the hose.

Once you find it though the trick is to run the battery output DIRECT to the input leads. Do this with jumper cables and short jumper wires attached to the cables. This way you make sure you're not wasting current on resistive losses. If the fluid or water pump works at all and it's just "stuck" for whatever reason, this'll get it going again.

> Thanks. > > -Scott > '81 'falia

Jack (81 as well. The van that is ;)

jackr@starfleet.scs.ag.gov