Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Oct 94 23:41:38 PDT
From:         David Schwarze <schwarze@io.nosc.mil>
Subject:      Re: YES:6-ply tires

I just went and checked the as-installed-by-Sears pressure on my new Trailhandlers. For the record, they are:

"Trailhandler Radial A-T" Load Range C, Max Load 1435 lbs, max press. 50 psi LT195-75R14 $59.95 each

The left one was at 34 psi, the right one 30. I pumped them both up to 44 psi. Ride is slightly improved, but not much. Still very squirelly. While I'm running amuk, let me throw in some more data.

The tires on the rear that the Trailhandlers replaced were Michelin XA4's. 215/70/14 M+S Max Load 1554 lbs, max press. 35 psi. These tires are just a wee bit taller than the 195/75/14 Trailhandlers - maybe half an inch, but a whole helluva lot wider. I wish I had kept them. They were rock solid on the road. Crosswinds never bothered me. Guess I fell victim to the "grass is greener" syndrome.

On the front of Da Boat are Yokohama "Radial 371 A-II"'s. Bought them used, but they were almost new. They have lasted me a long, long time and just keep on going. I must have gone through 3 (used) sets of Michelin MXL's during the first 1/4 of tread loss on the Yokos. I have had them on both ends of the bus at times and they are a great all-around tire. They are 6 ply, btw (2+2+2).

The following is for the Trailhandlers...

Wes Neuenschwander writes: > > However, I think the database should contain some additional fields, > including: > > Name of Submitter David Schwarze > Vehicle Year/Model 73 Camper > Date of Submittal Oct. somethingorother > Operating Pressure (as used) 44 psi > Traction (Good/Average/Poor) Don't know yet. > Braking (Good/Average/Poor) Average > Low Speed Handling (ie. turning) Good > High Speed Handling (ie. tracking/stability and cross-wind resistance) Horrid > Ride (Good/Average/Poor) Good (their best quality, IMO) > Comments (Free form field; won't be able to collate data, but > might suggest other data fields for future inclusion).

My bus is probably heavier than most, especially in the rear. High top, 2 extra group 27 deep cycle batteries, Fridge, stove, lots of cheap particle-board furniture, tons of extra parts, etc etc etc... Maybe I should rename it lard butt.

In conclusion, I *still* think the Trailhandlers suck. I just don't think there is enough TIRE in contact with the ground to keep all that weight in line. I'll probably end up moving them to the front and going back to wider tires in the rear...

-David

============================================================================= David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) SAIC Comsystems, San Diego '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) schwarze@nosc.mil '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (Da Bruiser? Soon...) =============================================================================