Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Oct 94 13:37 PDT
From:         bjaffe@reed.edu (Ben Jaffe)
Subject:      Starter ?'s in '64 Bus

Well...Ijust bought a rebuilt 6V starter for my '64 Bus. When I got the bus, it did not come with a starter in it, so I have a couple of questions. Does it just bolt on? It looks like two bolts hold it to the engine. What size? I would guess 13mm, but I'm not sure. Are there nuts on the back of those bolts, or does it just bolt into the block somehow? Is the solonoid supposed to end up on the bottom, or the top of the starter,or will it just only fit one way anyway? Also, the battery compartment is fairly rusted out, it is a '64, after all, so I was planning on putting the battery on the left side of the car instead of the right. As far as I can tell, the only mod I need to do this is a longer wire to the starter. Has anyone else done this, and knows what size works best? I guess I'd also need to make a hole for the ground strap. Is there anything special I need to do this, or can I just drill a hole and bolt the new ground-strap to the hole? I know it has to be touching bare metal, not paint, but is there anything else important about it?

Also...How does the solonoid connect to the ignition coil? As far as I can tell...I run a hot (+) lead from the battery to the starter. Then I ground the starter/solonoid unit, then run a wire from the (+) end of the soloniod to the (+) side of the ignition coil. Then I just ground the coil to the engine somewhere. Sound right? Thanks for all the help..

-ben bjaffe@reed.edu