Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Oct 94 23:49:29 CDT
From:         "J. Walker" <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: Something off reec.autos.vw

On Mon, 10 Oct 94 21:10:38 CDT Dan Geer said: >I was wondering -- why is there a VINTAGVW >list, a vanagon list, and rec.autos.vw and >no cross-connection. The volume on the

well, the way i see it is like this: Vintagvw is mostly inhabited by beetles, ghias, and the odd few squarebacks. very few buses, and even the things have tried to start their own little list. rec.autos.vw seems (to me) to be inhabited by mostly rabbits, golfs, and the water-cooled 'cars'. not too much beetles or buses. vanagon list started up in one place, grew a bit, then kinda died. then gerry resurected it and it grew a bunch more.

the lack of cross-connection seems to be due to the narrowness of the minds and interests of the posters. :) beetle folks don't seem to care much about buses (unless they have one of each) and certainly don't care about rabbits. and the reverse is true.

it would be much more convenient to read rec.autos.vw.bus or somesuch, but it is much easier to set up a mailing list (well ... that's what i heard) and not everyone has access to netnews. hence the mailing lists.

>Frankly, I can't handle the volume ...

this is a common problem, and one that causes lots of folks to quit this list and others. what i've had to do was to cut back on the number of lists that i subscribe to and make many of them send in 'digest' format.

>If this is a long dead issue, could I get a succinct reason why. If it is >historical and/or inertial, does anyone want a cross->over engine to appear?

i'm not sure i understand what you mean by a 'cross-over engine'. but it is certainly NOT a dead issue. it's one of those things that comes back up every so often, but nobody ever does anything about it. but then, are there really THAT many issue that affect beetles AND rabbits AND buses? i mean, we have a hard enough time on THIS list getting participation from just the four generations of buses ... things that affect Microbuses don't necessarily vanagon owners and vice versa. i'm sure that almost all of the Microbus and Bus folks get kinda tired of hearing about vanagon water pumps and coolant problems. lord knows, we all get tired of that silent smugness those Eurovan owners have. :) but their turn will come. someday, their cars will have grey hair!

so what's to do? i don't know. i'm not expert enough in networking or the internal workings of all this to know what COULD be done, much less what SHOULD be done. i find that i have to make a choice based on MY time and work and diskspace and likes and dislikes. and that's the best i can do for me.

joel