Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Oct 1994 10:58:50 -0700
From:         <jeffs@almaden.ibm.com> (Jeff P. Schneiter)
Subject:      a newbie pulls an engine!

Yes folks, a simple tug, crash, and bang dropped that sucker right on the ground - "that" being a pancake in my '72 Westy - and thanks to Robert, Bill, and Joel for their email assistance.

I am pulling the engine in the first place to get some head work done so that I can pass CA smog, and while it is out I will check over the whole engine to see if it will last another 50,000 miles while I would like to build another engine it for. The bus itself only cost $500, so I spent a few extra hundred on tools and manuals, and am grateful that I don't have my VW hating girlfriend anymore - meaning I have all the time in the world to work every weekend on it if I so desire :)

I also got the chance to play the newbie manual game...trying to find all VW manuals I could - like the usual mistake, I actually paid for a Chilton book, then found a Haynes, which wasn't too bad, except the pictures were too dark - I couldn't really make anything out, and some of the descriptions were like "pull of the wires to the starter, battery, [etc..], and any other wires that might be there". "Oh great" I thought. But then I found the Bentley book from VW, and there was much rejoicing - great pictures and exploded diagrams! I ordered the John Muir book, but have to wait about 2 months, it was on backorder. But the book on rebuilding a pancake was not available, the publisher did not have any!

It actually wasn't too bad pulling it out, in retrospect that is. The first day stressed me a little because there were all these wires that I had to label, and so many screws holding in those tins. They all didn't need to be removed for a simple removal, but I will be taking apart the engine soon.

Once I get this guy running I will be able to get around to replacing the timing belt and adjusting the valves on my '93 Civic. Now *that* will be a challenge for a weekend wanna-be-mechanic.

Enough rambling for now...except for my quick attempt with haiku, I know it ain't Friday, but oh well...

remove the pancake spend all my money on it now I call it home

--------------------------------------------------------------- Jeff Schneiter........jeffs@almaden.ibm.com........408.927.1498 If IBM and I have the same opinions, I have been here too long! '72 Westfalia, need an engine for it MA/WC ---------------------------------------------------------------