Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Oct 1994 16:03:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Mark Janello <mjanello@umich.edu>
Subject:      Small on Safety (Was: those cab separators)

On Tue, 11 Oct 1994 rapalmer@eos.ncsu.edu wrote:

<snip> > I read a book > strongly disparaging the safety of Beetles (called The Small Wonder - > Small on Safety I think), and it told of how in rear-end collisions, > seats would snap backwards, and passengers could fly out the back > window. This was documented for Beetles. Of course, the short chapter on > buses said almost exactly "Get 'em off the road - they're totally > unsafe" > Oh well, off I drive to die horribly someday... :) > Richard

This was Ralph Nader. My favorite statistic in the bus chapter is how buses had a very high percentage of single-vehicle accidents, implying (to Ralph) they get blown off the road. Since those statistics were from 1971 (or so) I have also wondered whether some of those people driving VW vans in 1971 just might have been STONED OUT OF THEIR MINDS. Nah . . . .

Mark >