Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Oct 94 19:20:22 EDT
From:         dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca (David Carment)
Subject:      Cold Start

This morning, when I needed to rush off to Hull across the Ottawa river and get there in 15 minutes, the westfalia would of course not start. It was without a doubt a weak battery. Given that the temps around here have been hovering around the 0 celsius mark for the last few days (which is not that cold really) and that I have not driven the Vanagon in about a week (I walk to work) it is likely that the battery is either showing its age (3 year old Interstate) which was exaggerated by the coldness or there is a slow drain on the battery. Three questions - a) any experience with Interstate in cold weather? b) is there a definite choice of battery/amps for cold weather? and c) would a head temp gauge and oil pressure gauge that are live (not hooked up through the ignition) be a slow current drain?--

I am thinking of hooking up a permanent battery charger that would be plugged in via the 120 v system or alternately hooking up a solar battery charger to keep the amps up.......any ideas appreciated - DC

PS is jump starting an FI Vanagon ok? ---------------------------------------------------------------------- David Carment School of International Affairs Carleton University Ottawa, Ontario K1S 5B6 voice - (613) 788-2600-6662 fax - (613) 788-2889 Email address: dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca ----------------------------------------------------------------------