Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Oct 94 14:07:17 PDT
From:         Stuart Redford <scrpers@hpvcpnpi.vcd.hp.com>
Subject:      Re: '91 Camper Comments

I sold my '91 Camper last week (4 speed). > > Took our '91 Camper out for our first camping trip since > buying it in November. First for some peeves: > 1. Its power is marginal. Some of the mountain climbs near > Trail B.C. slowed it down to 40 mph. Petal to the metal, lots of > buzzy downshifting by the automatic transmission. On gradual slopes > it usually could stay up to 55 mph.

Yeah, I learned to be patient. I realize VW has to satisfy the market's demand for automatics, but there just isn't power enough in that to use a slushbox to push that camper.

> 2. The air conditioning is sub-marginal. Cold air on the back of the neck, > no air to the face.

The A/C is pretty poor especially in hot weather and a complete waste with passengers in the back seat in hot weather. They sit under all that noise while the driver+ sweats.

If I had kept mine, I had planned to port the right-most duct into the side vent nearby, seal off the fresh air intake in the grill and use the ventilation ducts to route cool air to the dash.

> 3. The water fill cover used a plastic key which broke off on first use. > More water ends up on the ground than in the tank when filling with > a hose.

Never had a key problem. And patience is required at fill.

> 4. The sink drain usually didn't. I used a collapsible plastic drain > bag. Probably need to use a vented bucket.

I carried a ridgid pan ~20" X 15" X 7" and stored it upside-down in the over-cab rack with hoses, powercord underneath.

> 6. Interior lighting is pathetic.

I had (2) clipon lights that mounted to that lip above the stove. > weezer